Follow on Bloglovin

jueves, 3 de julio de 2014

You're so skinny!

Hey guys!

This is a topic that I've been wanted to write about for some time and as soon as I finish it I'm going to post it on my facebook, twitter and every other social media. Why? Because I think we have to raise awareness about it.

Before I start I just want to say that I have always been a very small, thin and boney person. My parents are this way, my genes are this way and I have a extremely high metabolism. I do not have an eating disorder, I have never had an eating disorder and right now I'm perfectly healthy.

"You're so skinny" "You need to eat more" "You have to gain weight" 
I hear this kind of stuff all the time and I just can't stand it anymore. When I was a kid I was fine with it and I assumed it was fine for people to say this things to me. But now that I'm older and I've given it a thought... it's not! You would never think of saying to an overweight person: "You're so fat, you need to get on a diet", would you? You wouldn't because it's disrespectful, rude and can hurt that person's feelings...then, why is it OK to do it the other way around?

A classmate once even told me: "You look like a skeleton".
...
Is that supposed to be a compliment?

When someone tells me I'm skinny, I don't take it as a compliment. How can I? It's OFFENSIVE. That's the same thing as calling someone fat. Why would anyone think they have the right to comment on other people's body size and walk away without being told off? You can't just ask people why their body is the way it is.

Besides, how the hell am I even supposed to respond to "why are you so skinny?" Erm, sorry, it's called METABOLISM, I cannot control it and you have no right to comment on it.

"Why is it okay for you to love your curves but it's not okay for the to love my bones?"

Moral of the story, if you mean to compliment someone and they're a bit under/overweight, just say something like "you look really nice today!" instead of going on and on about their body size.

THANKS.

Paula.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario